Our one day conference starts this important conversation locally while bridging the gap between the consumer and the industry. By the end of the day, attendants will feel better informed about the negative impact of the fashion industry on our fellow man and the planet, its effect on their daily lives, and how they can implement sustainable changes in their lives and their neighborhoods.
DC Sustainable Fashion Collective (DCSFC), a non-profit organization, whose purpose is to foster and educate a community of creative entrepreneurs, lawmakers, designers, activists, academics, fashion professionals, and consumers in the D.C. Metropolitan Area on the importance of sustainability, ethical practices, and circularity in the fashion industry. Established in January 2018, DCSFC is poised to develop educational programs, retail opportunities, workforce development/training initiatives, and networking opportunities for the local creative, sustainable and ethical communities.
Located in the heart of GW’s Foggy Bottom Campus, Washington, the George Washington University Museum and The Textile Museum fosters the study and appreciation of art, history, and culture—both within the university and throughout the global community. As a cornerstone of the university’s growing focus on arts and culture, the museum unites:
The Textile Museum, an institution with a nearly one-hundred year history, an established audience, and a respected collection of textile art representing five continents and five millennia.
Relevant artworks from the university’s collections, which include paintings, prints and drawings, photography,
sculpture, and decorative arts.
William Wilson Corcoran, a Washington, D.C. based merchant and banker, founded the Corcoran Gallery of Art in 1869. Corcoran began his gallery with much of his own collection, which formed one of the first major, publicly accessible art collections in the nation’s capital. The gallery – originally housed in a building on the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and 17th Street NW – was a draw for D.C. residents, visitors, and even aspiring artists.
Using raised funds and the proceeds of Corcoran’s estate, the Corcoran Board of Trustees oversaw the construction of a large Beaux Arts building on 17th Street, three blocks from the original Renwick gallery. This new building, designed by Ernest Flagg, opened to great fanfare in 1897 and absorbed both the gallery and the art school. The building – and collection – expanded again in 1928 with the acquisition of the William A. Clark collection.
The school continued to evolve, receiving accreditation with the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) in the mid-1970s. In 1999, a reorganization brought about a new name: the Corcoran College of Art + Design. In 2014, as the Corcoran Gallery ceased operations, the school became part of neighboring George Washington University’s Columbian College of Arts and Sciences. At that time, the university committed to maintaining the original Corcoran mission to support the arts and assumed responsibility for the necessary renovations to the building.